Maths Curriculum Statement
At Clare Community Primary School, our aim is for all children to enjoy mathematics and have a secure and deep understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts and procedures when they leave us to go to secondary school. Children are encouraged to become enthusiastic mathematicians by developing their skills, verbally articulating their knowledge, and showing their understanding through practical experiences which have relevance and purpose in everyday situations.
It is essential that children develop their numeracy skills in order to become lifelong learners; they should be able to apply their fluency, problem-solving and reasoning skills in different situations across the curriculum and in daily life outside school.
Aims and Objectives
- To become fluent in the fundamentals of Mathematics through varied and frequent practice of increasingly complex problems over time.
- To develop the ability to recall and apply known facts rapidly and accurately.
- To become problem solvers, who can reason, think logically, work systematically and apply their knowledge of mathematics in a range of contexts.
- To develop mathematical language through speaking and listening, practical activities and by recording work accurately.
- To become independent learners and to work co-operatively with others.
Useful links to support your child with their Maths learning at home:
- NumBots - ideal for younger children up to Year 3: https://numbots.com/
- Times Tables Rock Stars - great for practising times tables, Year 3 and up: https://ttrockstars.com/
- White Rose App: perfect for all ages. Practise all the fundamental pattern-spotting, counting, number bonds, times tables and division skills, that are absolutely key to children's success in Maths throughout primary school: https://whiteroseeducation.com/1-minute-maths
- Lots of fun, animated Maths games: https://ictgames.com/mobilePage/index.html